The Associate Reformed Congregation of Andes had its roots early in 1833 with elders ordained and children baptized on August 17, 1834, the official date of the organization. The new Associate Reformed congregation worshipped in the building owned by the New School Presbyterians and shared that building until 1848 when the present house of worship was constructed. Anti-rent struggles of 1844-45 caused difficulties resulting in several founding members withdrawing their memberships. With the union of the Associate and Associate Reformed denominations in May of 1858, the Andes church became part of the new United Presbyterian Church and was referred to as The United Presbyterian Church of Andes. The First Presbyterian Church of Shavertown existed within the township in the hamlet of Shavertown until 1954 when the community was razed for the construction of the Pepacton Reservoir, a major water source for New York City. The circa 1921 church building was torn down board by board and placed in storage with the hopes of reconstructing the building on another site. The reconstruction never took place however the church organization relocated but dwindling membership prompted a merger with the Andes congregation in March 1968. The combined congregations became The Presbyterian Church of Andes (Town). The stored building materials were used to construct a chapel and Sunday School rooms at the rear of the Andes church making use of the beautiful stained glass windows and furnishings from the Shavertown church. The large Good Shepherd window that once graced the Shavertown church was placed in the front of the Andes sanctuary.
The Good Shepherd Window
The Good Shepherd window that once graced the Shavertown Church was installed in the front of the sanctuary in 1969.
The sanctuary was restored in 2000.
Recently, un-used portions of the Shavertown Chapel were converted into a lounge made available for community functions.